We’re Hiring! Part-time Community Organizer
The Sheff Movement Coalition seeks to hire a dynamic part-time, contract Community Organizer. The Community Organizer will be responsible to develop and coordinate activities to mobilize, empower, and engage the Greater Hartford community to advocate for quality integrated education for all children.
• Works with SMC staff, coalition members, community members and partners to develop opportunities for the Greater Hartford community to engage with SMC and advocate for quality integrated education for all children
• Expands and strengthens SMC’s activist and supporter base throughout Greater Hartford
• Mobilizes parents, students, educators, administrators and community members in support of local coalition efforts
• Coordinates aspects of the SMC school-based advocacy teams, including leading and supporting meetings, recruitment, training, and development
• Works with the Sheff Movement coalition leadership to set monthly meeting agendas and co-facilitate meetings
• Arranges internal and public workshops and trainings and coordinates SMC staff or volunteer presence and community outreach events
• 2-3 years of experience and success in community organizing, grassroots activism, advocacy campaigns, and/or electoral campaigns
• Understanding of and commitment to integrated education and social and racial justice; familiarity with anti-racism and anti-oppression work
• Must have strong written, verbal, and organizational skills and the ability to set and meet clear goals and work independently; demonstrated ability to utilize social media to achieve organizing goals
• Experience working with students and managing volunteers
• Flexible schedule, including evening and weekend hours, is required
• Knowledge of Hartford and its neighborhoods, populations, and communities is a plus. Bilingual (Spanish) a plus.
This is a three-month, contract position beginning October 1 at approximately 10 hours per week with the opportunity to extend pending grant funding. Women, people of color, lgbtqia+ candidates, and candidates from other historically underrepresented populations are encouraged to apply.
To apply, submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Due to the volume of submissions, we may not be able to respond to every applicant. Candidates who meet the above qualifications and are considered for the position will be contacted.